Classical Italian Renaissance Studies
Classical Italian Renaissance Studies 1988 (8’ by 22’ facing walls) plus two panels (6’ by 7’) Trattoria Restaurant, Honolulu, Hawai’i.
Imagine the joy of drawing and painting studies of some of the most beloved classical Italian Renaissance masterpieces on a large scale in front of a lively restaurant crowd! “It was an amazing experience”, says artist Calley O’Neill. Calley was painting That’s the Way of the World, A Mural on the History of Agriculture in the United States on the Reef Hotel across the street from Trattoria, when restaurateur Fred Livingston walked over and said, “Your work is really beautiful. I need an Italian study done by Christmas Eve (10 days away) on a new wall at Trattoria.” Thus began a wonderful artist/patron relationship between the two. Ten days later, Calley had completed the drawing, transferred the drawing onto the wall and painted The Prophet Jeremiah. Mr. Livingston asked her to redesign and paint the front entry room and bar.
- The Prophet Jeremiah, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel ceiling
- The Prophet Jonah, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel ceiling
- The Libyan Sibyl, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel ceiling
- The Delphic Sibyl, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel ceiling
- God Creating Sun and Moon, Michelangelo, Sistine Chapel
- Botticelli’s Three Graces, central detail of Botticelli’s Allegory of Spring ~ Primavera, Uffizi, Florence, Italy
- Fete Champetre (Country Feast), by Titian and Giorgione
As soon as Calley had designed the new front room, she began to paint. A friend of owner Fred Livingston’s noted that it was “a pity to have such talent be enjoyed only by the cleaning ladies’. Mr. Livingston then invited Calley to switch her timing and paint when the restaurant was open, which attracted lots of public and media attention. “It was an immense exploration and invaluable study of my favorite Italian masters, as well as a blast getting to know many restaurant patrons and the wonderful staff.”
The large-scale, public, classical Italian Renaissance studies for
Trattoria Restaurant, Honolulu, Hawai'i:
Art and Soul for the Earth
Big Island of Hawai'i